Transforming Yourself for Success - Part 2
Your subconscious mind does not argue with you. It accepts what your conscious mind commands or states as if it were true. If you say, “I can’t do it” or I can’t afford it” your subconscious mind works to make it true. One becomes successful once they embrace a shift in better more positive thinking patterns.
Many of us have beliefs that hold us back and limit us from achieving our fullest potential. We have all been mentally conditioned to behave a certain way. We have specific beliefs that have been instilled in us since birth. Beliefs such as; in order for me
to make more money, I’ll have to work harder; money is the root of all evil; money doesn’t grow on trees; or I’m sure you’ve heard this one before, if I don’t do it myself, it will never get done the way I want.
These beliefs lead to the specific actions we take, productive or not so productive. We become stuck on a merry-go-round. Constant movement yet no progression. You are simply revisiting the same spot and the same results over and over. Working harder, working more hours, you feel only more overwhelm and anxiety as your efforts do not appear to be producing the results you want or deserve.
Beliefs are the opinions, the evaluations and everything of the world we hold as true and that we no longer question. The good news is these beliefs are simply our perception of the world around us and they can be changed. Moving beyond your limiting beliefs is a crucial step one must take in order to become successful or achieve higher levels of success. First it’s important to learn how to identify the beliefs that are holding you back and secondly they must be replaced with positive and more empowering beliefs to support you in the future.
Four steps to transforming a limiting belief into an empowering belief.
1. Make a list of any beliefs you feel may be limiting you in your business and your life. Here’s some common examples I hear...
• I’m not good enough
• There are more intelligent people out there than me
• I should eat everything on my plate even if I’m not hungry
• I’m a fraud
• I shouldn’t express my feelings as men don’t cry
• I’m not worthy of success
• I don’t have enough money to be successful
2. Pick the one that stands out most for you and determine how the belief limits you.
3. Decide how you want to be, act or feel instead.
4. Create a reverse statement that affirms or gives you permission to be, act or feel this new way. So reversing the previous limiting beliefs into empowering ones would look like this:
• I am good enough
• I am smart and capable
• I eat until I’m satisfied knowing it’s fuelling my body
• I am genuine and authentic
• I express my feelings easily and effortlessly• I am worthy of success
• I have all the tools, resources, and money I need to create the success I want
Remember: Our self-talk matters!
Develop New Success Habits Every Year
Experts have proven that 90 per cent of our behaviour is habitual. From the time you get up in the morning to the time you go to bed. On a positive note, habits help free up your mind while your body is on automatic. This allows us to plan our day while we are in the shower, watching TV or talking to a friend in the car. On the flip side, not all of our habits are good for us. They can inhibit your growth and limit your success. You may have or may not have read my book Franchise Profits. In the book I go into more detail about this however, in a nutshell, your habits determine your outcomes. Successful people don’t just get to the top by drifting. Achieving success requires focused action, discipline and lots of commitment every day to make things happen. The habits you develop from this day forward will ultimately determine how your future unfolds. To change a habit takes a shift in your thinking and a shift in the actions you take. First make a list of all the habits that keep you from achieving your outcomes, keeps you unproductive or that is negatively impacting an area or areas in your business and or life. Some include:
• Paying bills late
• Completing tasks in the 11th hour
• Arriving late for meetings
• Working late
• Eating poorly and not exercising regularly
• Handling paper more than once
Once you have identified your negative habits, the second step is to choose a better more productive success habit and develop systems that will help you stay on track. If your goal is to go the gym every evening after work and you find you just never get there then you may decide to set your alarm one hour earlier in the morning and get up and out to the gym the morning. It’s about setting new habits and committing to them. In the last issue I spoke about the one per cent rule. Making change one per cent every day. Imagine if you set out to change three or more habits each year over a course of five years from now you will have 15 or more new success habits that could bring you all the things you desire in your life. A healthier, wealthier, happier you. I like to work on one new habit each quarter. It allows me to focus my energies on one habit to ensure transformation of the old habit is long term rather than setting myself up for failure in an attempt to tackle all habits at one time.
Are You Interested or Committed?
Most of us believe we are committed to our success. I’m sure if I asked you now you would say of course you are. I had that illusion once too. I thought I was committed where in fact I was like the majority who were simply interested in success. Those
who are interested in success will do what is convenient. Those who are committed will do whatever it takes. They are 100 per cent committed, no excuses, no exceptions!
Learn More to Earn More!
They say people who have more information have a tremendous advantage over people who don’t. People who know me, know I am a learning junkie and they wonder how I fit it all in. If you feel you don’t have time to learn here’s my top tips to help you achieve it with not much effort at all.
- Turn television time into learning time. The sad reality is the average Australian watches far too much TV. No wonder the average Australian is overweight and broke. I actually go to the gym at night and catch up on a TV show while I’m there.
- Leaders are readers. Dedicate an hour a day to reading. The late Jim Rohn,motivational philosopher, suggested ifyou read one book a week, in 10 years you would have read 520 books and in 20 years that’s more than 1000 books –enough to easily put you in the top oneper cent of experts in your field. Add tothose the books from the masters in relatedareas and you’d have an edge that otherssimply don’t have. Oh and by the way asa business owner reading this, may I also add that it’s important to read the rightbooks. I doubt that 50 Shades of Grey will help you get closer to achieving your desired outcomes in your business. So choose wisely.
- Learn to read faster. This has helped me read more books and achieve more in less time.
- Study the lives of great people. This is essential in helping you grow and transform.
- Be Teachable. To learn and grow youneed to be teachable too.
- Stay motivated with the masses. Successful people listen daily to audio programs in the car, at home and at the office. Even if it’s for just 15 minutes each day.
- Commit to lifelong learning and self improvement. Improving your mind, increasing your skills and boosting your ability to assimilate and apply what you learn.
I trust this has given you some top tips in helping you transform yourself to success. More can be read in my new book Franchise Profits. Remember to fuel your success with passion and enthusiasm. Passion is something within you that provides the
continual enthusiasm, focus and energy one needs to achieve success. Unlike feel good short lived motivation, true passion comes from within and it can be channelled into amazing feats of success. Here’s to your success.
Tania Allen is the founder of Vision Alliance and author of Franchise Profits.
Vision Alliance supports franchisors and franchisees in all areas of business growth, franchise development & personal empowerment.
If you would like some more information or support in this area contact Tania Allen at:
Phone: 1300 76 49 20
or 0419 481 203
Register for free webinars at: webinars.vision-alliance.com